Kroger Marketplace Grand Opening Brings the Masses
For Immediate Release
Kroger Marketplace at Greenbrier Square to Open August 3rd
New Store Creates 280 Jobs in Chesapeake
Hampton Roads, VA – August 1, 2016 – The Kroger Co., the nation’s largest traditional supermarket retailer, will open its first Chesapeake location. On Wednesday, August 3rd at 8 a.m., shoppers will be welcomed into the brand new Greenbrier Square Kroger Marketplace store located at 1653 Sentinel Drive.
On the morning of the grand opening, the first 500 customers will receive “Breakfast on Kroger,” gift bags which include a 18 ct. Kroger large eggs, Sara Lee bread, 1 lbs. of strawberries and other items. After the grand opening, Kroger will begin “13 Days of Giving” offering free items to the first 250 customers in the store each day.
“We can’t wait to open our doors in Chesapeake and help customers save time and money, while finding everything they need under one roof,” said Kevin Boone, store manager at the Kroger Marketplace at Greenbrier Square. “This store is an entirely new, and more efficient, layout created to make shopping experiences seamless and enjoyable every time our customers visit the store.”
The 123,587-square-foot marketplace store employs more than 320 full- and part-time workers, which includes more than 280 new hires. A portion of the new team includes existing Kroger employees who chose to transfer to the new store at Greenbrier Square.
In addition to offering grocery selections, the new store provides a unique experience to shoppers by filling over 90,000 square feet with non-grocery items, ranging from apparel to home décor. Customers can expect a variety of new and unique features, including:
- Non-grocery departments including sections offering a variety of products including apparel, home décor, pet supplies, baby and infant needs, toys, bedding, housewares and more.
- A cheese shop from Greenwich-based Murray’s, offering more than 175 varieties of cheese from all around the world.
- A growler station, equipped with a seating area, will rotate 12 selections of popular local and craft brews. Tastings and flights available in store.
- An expanded wine department with more than 2,000 wine selections available, including a wine bar with eight wines on tap for in-store tastings and
- An integrated natural foods department offering bulk dry goods, gluten-free items and other specialty, dietary-specific items.
- A deli bistro that includes premium made-to-order Boars Head deli meat sandwiches, a fresh salad bar, gourmet brick oven pizza station, sushi bar and other Pan-Asian food favorites.
- A café seating area is accompanied by a fireplace and flat-screen televisions.
- A full-service drive-thru pharmacy.\
- A Starbucks kiosk, including a seating area and free Wi-Fi.
- A Kroger Fuel Center, with nine fuel pumps and 18 dispensers, where customers can redeem earned fuel points on all goods purchased will open later this summer.
In line with Kroger’s commitment to the community, the grocer will donate a total of $6,000 to three non-profit organizations, including the City of Chesapeake’s Mayor’s Commission of Veteran Affairs, the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Chesapeake Fire Department ‘Adventure Fire AIM Mentor’ program. Kroger will present each organization with a donation at the grand opening ribbon cutting event at 8 a.m. on August 3.
New this year, the Kroger Art Program, a new community arts initiative, will make its Hampton Roads debut during the grand opening celebrations as well. Located in the café seating area, an interior mural created by local artist Peter Geiger entitled ‘Bridges’, will be revealed. ‘Bridges’ captures the spirit of the Chesapeake.
An additional feature unique to the Chesapeake store includes a community room that will be dedicated to the fallen first responders in the City of Chesapeake. The room is an open-to-the-public community room that can be utilized for community meetings and other gatherings.
About The Kroger Co.
The Kroger Mid-Atlantic division operates 121 stores in the region, which includes North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and parts of Kentucky, Tennessee and Ohio. The Kroger Co., headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, focuses its charitable efforts on supporting hunger relief, health and wellness initiatives and local organizations in the communities it serves. For more information about Kroger, please visit www.kroger.com.