Chesapeake, VA — Workforce
Since 2003, Chesapeake’s employment growth rate has been among the Top 50 nationally. The total number of employers has increased by more than double the national average. The number of workers has increased by more than 12 percent, and total wages have tripled the national average.
Chesapeake, VA and the state of Virginia are committed to building and maintaining a strong workforce. Through key workforce development programs such as the Virginia Jobs Investment Program, the state is helping companies offset training and recruitment expenses.
Chesapeake Economic Development, along with other local and regional partners throughout the state, work closely with Virginia’s Workforce Development System to provide ongoing training, education and development resources to companies located here. Through state, regional and local efforts, Virginia has cultivated one of the nation’s most diverse and well-trained workforces:
- Top 10 in labor productivity
- Ranked 7th in U.S. in prime working population at nearly 4.3 million
- Half a million students enrolled in more than 93 in-state institutions of higher education
- 25,000 doctoral scientists and engineers residing in the state – one of the highest concentrations in the country
- The city of Chesapeake’s Unemployment Rate is 4.7%
- National: 5.2%
- Virginia: 4.3% (Source: VEC, January 2016)
- Chesapeake’s local labor force is augmented annually by:
- More than 17,000 exiting military personnel
- 40,000 military spouses
- More than 8,500 graduating college students