Existing and Expanding Business
Chesapeake’s vibrant business community offers unparalleled opportunities for our existing companies to expand, innovate and transform.
Dollar Tree Inc. developed into a Fortune 500 company, right here in Chesapeake, improving its ranking of No. 499 in 2009 to become No. 330. German-owned Becker Hydraulics USA expanded from a small sales office by launching its first U.S. manufacturing facility here. Start-up business the Big Ugly Brewing Company used innovative tactics to open a craft-brewery.
Innovation and transformation are intricately woven together in Chesapeake. It’s no wonder that 20 percent of the region’s largest employers, like Canon, Capital One, Cox Communications, General Dynamics, Xerox and USAA, are located in our city. Year after year, Chesapeake’s economy continues to generate multi-million dollar business investments and high-demand jobs. With connected transportation networks, diverse industry sectors, and a skilled 21st century workforce, Chesapeake is a thriving business center like no other.
Find out today how your company can prosper in Chesapeake.
Top 50 Major Employers
- Chesapeake City Public School Board
- City of Chesapeake
- Chesapeake General Hospital
- MAC Services
- Sentara Healthcare
- Cox Communications Hampton
- QVC Chesapeake
- Capital One Services II LLC
- Onsite Engineering & Mana Inc.
- Norfolk Cent YMCA
- Food Lion
- Farm Fresh
- Canon Information Technology
- Tidewater Community College
- Medical Management Service Inc.
- Lifetouch National School
- Oceaneering International
- Target Corp.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Defense
- The Home Depot
- Technico Corporation
- Anteon Corporation
- Excellerate Ehro, LLP
- Alutiiq Pacific
- Dollar Tree Management
- Southeast Virginia Training Center
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store
- First Data Resource
- Caci Acquisition Inc.
- Dollar Tree Distribution
- Xerox HR Solutions LLC
- Lowes’ Home Centers, Inc.
- Reliance Staffing Services
- May Department Stores Company
- Red Lobster & The Olive Garden
- Plasser American Corporation
- St. Brides Correctional Center
- Gretna Health Care Center
- Greenbrier International Inc.
- Serco Inc.
- Map Mobile Communications
- McDonald’s #1466
- Tidewater Fibre Corporation
- Indian Creek Correctional Center
- Flowserve Red Corporation
- Harris Teeter Supermarket
- Hall Automotive LLC
Source: Virginia Employment Commission, Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages (QCEW), 4th Quarter (October, November, December) 2014.
Professional Business Services and Technology
Maritime, Logistics and Transportation
Defense Technologies, Services and Support
Manufacturing Leisure and Hospitality
Existing Business Partners
Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce
Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance
Virginia Economic Development Partnership
Genedge Manufacturing Alliance
Northernmost Right-to-Work State
- Among the lowest worker’s compensation insurance rates in the country
- Civilian labor force exceeds 118,351 for Chesapeake and 767,837 for the MSA (April 2010)
- Salaries below national average
- Unemployment rate is 6.6%, lower than the U.S. (9.3%) (July 2011)
- Local labor force is augmented annually by: – More than 17,000 exiting military personnel – 40,000 military spouses – More than 8,500 graduating college students Labor Inventory
- Education/Healthcare – 17.43%
- Professional Business Services – 17.24%
- Retail – 15.61%
- Leisure – 11.13%
- Construction – 9.02%
- Government – 4.67%
- TWU – 4.61%
- Manufacturing – 4.58%
- Wholesale – 4.34%
- Fire – 4.13%
- Other Services – 3.8%
- Information – 2.94%
- Natural Resources – 0.21%
Opportunity Inc. of Hampton Roads
Tidewater Community College Workforce Development
Virginia Employment Commission
Southeastern Virginia Rapid Response Team
Educational Partners in Chesapeake
- Chesapeake Public Schools
- Chesapeake Center for Science & Technology
- Tidewater Community College (TCC) Four-Year Colleges/Universities in the Region
- Christopher Newport University
- College of William and Mary
- Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Hampton University
- Norfolk State University
- Old Dominion University
- Regent University
- Virginia Wesleyan College